Friday, February 11, 2011

Here I am!


I had a frustrating skate today, followed by a weight-loss dinner of fish and vegetables.  Because I’m feeling sorry for myself, I decided to self-medicate with two chunks of chocolate cake (how’d did that get in the house??), and some red wine.  Since I’ve already suppressed my CNS, I decided to go whole hog and initiate my own adult figure skater blog.

This blog is inspired by Stephanie Spins and Gordon Sk8ter Boi. The latter is pretty technical and kind-spirited; the former goes less into figure skating technique in favor of bitchy witty bon mots about the joys and craziness of rink culture. I don’t think I can stand to bore myself with deep analyses of all my skating mistakes. I’d much rather whine and moan about my perpetual self-inflicted skating misery, perhaps punctuated here and there with some successes. Plus, I want an outlet to vent .

I don’t expect anyone to actually read this thing, but if you know me, don’t be so vain, this song is probably not about you. I’m deliberately mixing up names, dates, and the identifying characteristics of my fellow skaters with some tales I’ve heard, or encounters far away from of Skating Land, and etc. However, everything I’ll discuss is true.

My intended audience (I know, I just contradicted myself, but hey) is other adult figure skaters. We come from all walks of life, but for some bizarre reason, analogous to taking up crack addiction just for “fun,”, we’ve decided to spend all of our hard-earned cash and free time on learning to do spins, jumps, and MITF. And while we do pretty well for our, ahem, age group, most regular people who watch champion figure skaters on TV would say we suck.

I’ve read plenty of adult figure skating blogs and most have died.  You’ll be reading months of stories about working on mohawks and turns and then an entry will appear: “That’s it, I’ve had it, I quit.”

I’ve reached the stage in my skating where I’ve come too far to quit, even though my progress is glacially slow. I’m stuck.  Ergo, I blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment